I am really pleased to see that Microsoft have launched a UserVoice community to gather feedback on SharePoint & Office Development. It remains to be seen whether they’ll do anything with this feedback anytime soon, but the team will be actively monitoring this.
Personally I’d ask anyone who is currently developing on SharePoint 2013 App Model to get on there and start giving there feedback. The SharePoint MVP community has already given a lot of feedback, but much like New Feature Requests at the software company I work for…votes count!
To point a few things out…don’t think that asking for improvements on the Solution Model will help here whatsoever, keep this focused on the new App Model and the Client API (REST and CSOM) and the store.
There are already 23 ideas on here. Including some I’ve already raised in my presentations around the App Model such as the People Picker availability in the Provider Hosted Apps.
It appears already product managers like Sonya Koptyev are sharing their feedback from customers here also. My feedback to the ones that have been submitted is that we really need more explanation of these ideas as things like “User Controls” really doesn’t scope what we’re voting for.
Please use your 10 votes carefully and lets use our voice to get what we need in the development platform!
What did I vote for?
- User controls in Provider Hosted Apps
- Apps don’t work with SAML claims (seems to be a dupe of Windows claims one)
- Customize MySites
I created these ones:
- Pre-production environments for Office 365
- Easier installation and configuration experience for Apps On-Premises
- OAuth support for On-Premises
- Ability to script adding of App Parts to Parent Site Home page on install or upgrade of App
- Fill the gaps between Server Side Object Model and Client Side Object Model
- Performance of Client side object model
- Upgrade tool between Declarative Sandboxed Solution Projects and SharePoint Hosted Apps in Visual Studio
- Ability to upgrade all Apps in environment on update in App Catalog via Store or Side load
I used up all of my 10 votes carefully based on my own gripes with the App Model based on releasing two Apps to the Store via AvePoint. Please check them out!
AvePoint Task & Calendar Sync