I have been trialing using Windows Azure Virtual Machines for my SharePoint environments.
My setup is as follows. I used the Pricing Calculator to give me an idea of what it’d set me back each month. The calculator is pretty poor from a user experience perspective in sliding scales because I’d rather just enter my storage value.
|Active Directory/DNS role||Small (1 core, 1.75Gb memory)||$0.09/hr ($66.96 a month)|
|SQL 2012||Large (4 cores, 7 Gb Memory)||$0.36/hr ($267.84 a month)|
|SharePoint 2010||Medium (2 cores, 3.5Gb memory)||$0.18/hr ($133.92 a month)|
|SharePoint 2013||Large (4 cores, 7Gb memory)||$0.36/hr ($267.84 a month)|
|DocAve 6 SP3 & Governance Automation SP3||Medium (2 cores, 3.5Gb memory)||$0.18/hr ($133.92 a month)|
|Bandwidth||Not sure how to calculate this..does it include me RDP’ing in?||$11.40 per 100Gb|
|Storage||127Gb x 5 = 635Gb||$43.75 a month|
|TOTAL||$870.48 a month|
With My Windows Azure MSDN – Visual Studio Ultimate account I get $150 of credit a month. Which essentially won’t cover much more than these VM’s running for a few days.
As you can see from this table…this demo/development set up is not really a viable setup. Think I’ll stick with lugging my Lenovo W510 around with this setup. I really can’t demo on a single Virtual Machine instance because of the fact that I need to demo both SP2010 and SP2013.
I have also noticed that I couldn’t get snapshotting the VMs to work either and how that would effect my storage costs each month.
I had a serious 9 day outage due to the fat that my MSDN subscription is linked to one Microsoft Account…and I had the Service Administrator set to another Microsoft Account which I was using to log into the manage.windowsazure.com portal. The problem here is that I didn’t realize I had to go to account.windowsazure.com with the first Microsoft Account to adjust my payment limit where the subscription is. Clicking on “Account” in my manage.windowsazure.com was going to Account for the Second Account.
The lesson in this story is to have EVERYTHING on one Microsoft account. This was confused more by the fact it was a @MSN.com upgraded to a @OUTLOOK.com that wasn’t allowing me to log in.
Once I finally got in on my @OUTLOOK.com and they transferred my “Service Administrator” back to the @OUTLOOK.com one. I could see my VMs in Storage…but I had to go and create the Virtual Machines again.